PUBLIC NOTICE – NEW OPEN HOURS & COVID-19 UPDATE (February 5, 2021)
Beginning Sunday, February 7, 2021, the following open hours will become effective:
Tuesday 12-5 PM
Wednesday 12-5 PM
Thursday 12-7 PM
Friday 12-7 PM
Saturday 12-5 PM
Our new hours will allow all of our shelter animals to have more opportunities for one on one time with our staff and volunteers. This will give us the ability to enhance the daily lives of our animals by creating more enrichment, training, and socialization activities. In addition, our goal for our community will be to offer further programming and classes to increase awareness and education for animal advocates, pet owners, and more. Appointments will be accepted on Sundays for adoptions, meet & greets, large donation drop offs, and animal intakes. Regular open hours will continue to function as usual, with the addition of evening hours on Thursdays.
In accordance with the guidelines and restrictions put in place by Governor Wolf, the Humane Society of Cambria County will be implementing the following precautions:
- Capacity will be limited to 75% occupancy so that visitors may continue to practice social distancing. Once capacity is reached no further individuals will be permitted into the building. We ask that you do not visit the shelter in groups larger than 3 and respect your time spent here so that others may have the chance to visit as well.
- All visitors will be asked to sign in before they enter the Cat and Dog room and to sign out before they exit.
- No visits will be permitted with adoptable animals without an approved application and appointment.
- Masks are required. And, we encourage guests to sanitize hands often and to wash hands at our sink prior to entering and exiting the Cat and Dog room.
1. Complete an Adoption Application: https://www.cambriacountyhumanesociety.com/adopt/the-adoption-process/#adopt. Physical applications are available at our shelter. (If you are unsure of which pet you would like to adopt, please provide a description of what you are interested in. You may call or message the shelter during business hours for questions on particular animals.)
2. Your application will be processed, and you will be contacted. Please allow 3 to 5 days for your application to be processed.
3. Once approved, an appointment will be made to meet with your potential adoptive pet(s).
**All animal visitations REQUIRE an approved application and appointment.**
If you locate a stray dog in Cambria County please contact non-emergency at 814-472-2100 or the Dog Warden at 814-932-2373. If you locate a stray cat in Cambria County please contact the shelter directly at 814-535-6116 for further instruction. If you must surrender your pet please contact the shelter directly at 814-535-6116 to discuss available space. For complaints of animal cruelty or neglect, please contact your local or State Police.
New Volunteers are being accepted at this time. Volunteer Orientations will be held once a week, and will be offered either on Sundays at 12:30 pm or Wednesday at 5:00 pm. Additional training is required for Dog Walking. Dog Handling Classes will be offered every other week on Sundays at 1:00 pm. To apply to volunteer, please complete our online application: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=820650069&OR=1
Current Volunteers are asked to schedule their shift by utilizing VicNet: https://www.volgistics.com/ex2/vicnet.dll/?from=484796. This allows us to control capacity within our building. If you do not schedule your shift, you may be asked to not volunteer that day.
We continue to accept donations. They may be dropped off in our donation barrels at the front of our shelter. If you have a monetary donation please call ahead to schedule an appointment, or you may make donations here: https://www.paypal.me/hscc15904. If you need a receipt, please call in and request one.
All dog licenses, flea/tick preventative, microchipping, etc. should call ahead so that we may continue to monitor our capacity.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we take these precautions. It is crucial for us to continue our life-saving efforts amidst these unprecedented times, therefore we must take the appropriate preventative measures for our staff and volunteers as well as protect the public.
Continue to watch our page during this time for updates about adoptable pets and our needs! Thank you!